Traveling the world: What to do with your job?

                                           

Some of the big questions that everyone asked me during the weeks before going on a trip and that I was telling about my plan to travel the world are: What are you going to do when you return? What are you going to do with your work? It's a long time to stop working, are you sure?

And the answer is the same: I don't know

This answer does not mean that I do not have a plan or an idea of ​​what I am going to do, but ultimately something more specific is that, I do not know.

I have examined all my possible options and have drawn some conclusions.

web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech

 
When I started to generate the idea of ​​going to travel the world, the first thing I had to think about was the most obvious thing, work. In order to think about it better, what I had to do was separate everything that my work involved into two.


Professional Life Vs Work.

The first thing was my professional life. Ask myself any of the following questions: Do what I'm doing, do I like it? And could I continue to do so for the rest of my life?


The first question I think was the most difficult to answer in the sense of: if I like it a lot, I like the team, I admire and respect my bosses and I even consider them something more personal than just bosses, but there is something there that I don't completely filled and that makes that "Yes" a bit indecisive.

web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech

I think I like my job but what it entails is what I don't like. Having to be locked in an office, meeting schedules even though there is no work to be done, following orders regardless of whether I consider them appropriate, having to attend endless meetings over and over again where no conclusion is reached, you want to act but You can't because you have to be "politically correct" and all those minor minor ones in the life of an employee are the ones I don't like.


Could I keep doing it for the rest of my life? The truth is, no. I have learned and achieved many things but there comes a point where you say, this is not my life, this is not what I want from myself and from my professional life.

In the end my job is that, a job and nothing else, but it is not the professional life I am looking for.

When I came to this understanding, it was easier for me to make the decision to quit.

web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech 

In case my answers had been the opposite and I had said: “If I like it, it is what I want for my future and it is where I want to grow”, then I would have explored other options such as a gap year or something similar.

But this is where everything gets more complicated, if that's not what I want, then what do I want?

Everything had always been very clear: get a master's degree, then a good job, and stay there for the rest of your life until you retire.


Now it is not. Now it is a closer and more tangible reality that translates into a simple question: What am I going to live on?

web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech

We go back to the answer at the beginning: I don't know, but I don't care.


If I look back I realize that everything I have achieved has been through my own effort and skills. These are the ones that will make me move forward, so I know that perhaps leaving something as secure as a job and a fairly decent fortnightly pay is not crazy at all.

I know I'm not taking a leap of faith completely blind, in the end I can always go back to where I was. Maybe not to the same company, same position, same team, but there will always be someone who knows me, who knows what I have done and who is willing to give me a job, if I ever need it.

web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech

One of my favorite phrases is that: "We are a possibility of being", and in the end it is who we really are. We decide how much risk we want to take and how to shape our professional career.

If the job I currently have I like but it doesn't fulfill me, why should I keep doing it?

And if your question goes further to the future in the sense of, "If it is easy to say that now that you are young and without responsibilities, but what happens when you have a family to support and you need stability?"


Then redefine what stability means to you. Having a house, a car and many comforts, which only increase your lifestyle and all depend on a job, in which you do not control the decisions of your superiors, is that stability for you?

web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech

On the contrary, for me that is the greatest instability that exists since at any moment it can disappear.

The stability of a family is in the values ​​and the time that you are willing to spend with your children to develop them and teach them what life is about, not in the ability you have to give them a new cell phone or video game.


Stability does not come from a job or a job, stability comes from yourself in every way. A successful professional career is one that makes you happy and fulfills, no matter where you are in your life.


I have known people who have more money than can be spent in their life and their family, which you would consider "stable", cannot even be together for dinner without starting to fight.


As a father or mother you will always find a way to give your children a roof, food and protection, but the stability that you both presume or think exists does not come from money, it comes from you.

web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech

I know it sounds easy to say, but I know it is not, some like me decided to take that leap of faith accompanied by a great trip, others just need to take that leap of faith in their own city.

Your ability will determine if you want to take a trip around the world for a while and return to your job or if you want to change your profession altogether.

web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech web Ntech 

So when they ask me, what will I do with my work? The answer is always the same, "I don't know, but I know that whatever I decide to do, I will achieve it because I trust my abilities"

Comments